If you’re doing “body weight” exercises such as push ups, lunges, and squats, then you are already part of a growing trend. Results recently released in the article, “Worldwide Survey of Fitness Trends for 2015: What’s Driving the Market”, might surprise you. Here are The American College of Sports Medicine predictions (and I can’t help myself…I add my two cents in italics after their comments).
1. Body Weight Training:
- Uses minimal equipment
- Allows us to get back to basics
- More affordable
- Body weight training also happens to be one of the most effective type of fitness for us if we are consistent about it. If you incorporate push ups, lunges, and squats into your daily exercise routine, I promise you will see results. I love barre classes for body weight training. For ultimate body weight fitness, watch American Ninja Warrior…you’ll be amazed.
2. HIIT (High Intensive Interval Training)
- Short bursts followed by short periods of rest
- Allows for shorter exercise time (usually accomplished in 30 min. or less)
- Brings the heart rate up continuously
- Remember this one from last year…It topped the 2013 Trend in Fitness list. I wrote this year about Tabata workouts, many of which incorporate HIIT…