New Lily

An Update on My Vitamix

Yes, it’s worth it’s weight in gold. That’s what I can say at this point about my new Vitamix. When I first got it, I was all about the green smoothie. I kept tweaking it until I mastered it in taste and ingredients (at least my taste…my husband still isn’t a fan of the wheatgrass component). But I can now admit to be a true Vitamix cheerleader because I’ve finally gone beyond blending fruits and veggies for a smoothie or shake. Yesterday I made minestrone soup and apple cobbler with the machine…and both were delicious, and the best part…totally fresh!

The other thing I discovered yesterday is that the VitaMix makes cooking a family affair. My soup would normally involve chopping lots of veggies (like onions, garlic, tomatoes, celery, carrots , and peppers) into small, bite sized pieces. But instead, the Vitamix allowed me to let my six-year-old throw in the celery, carrots, and tomatoes and be involved in the cooking process. Let’s just say my family’s love for soup isn’t quite as strong as mine is. The other thing I like about this mixer is that I can throw together a soup like yesterday’s minestrone for everyone, or make one that’s just to my liking and only for me. The fact that it doesn’t take much time and it’s not hard to clean, makes using it very easy. I know I sound like I’m selling the thing, but I’m not making a dime off of it… I just really love it! 9 Kid Fitness is about a lot more than fitness, though.  I believe that fitness, in fact, only makes up about 30 percent of any weight-loss (or maintenance) program and the other 70 percent comes from our nutrition (see the Rule of 70 article I wrote).  In terms of the nutrition aspect, I’m always looking for ways to make things easy to incorporate into our everyday living.  VitaMix goes a long way to help me with this.  Following is the recipe for minestrone soup; do you have any recipe for mixers or blenders to share??

Minestrone soup with a the Vitamix (or any blender):

4 c. Chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
2 carrots (cut in half)
3 celery stalks (2 cut in half and one chopped)
2 garlic cloves
1/2 onion
2 squash (1 cut in thirds and the other chopped)
4 tomatoes cut in fourths
1 can (or two) red kidney beans
2 cups green beans ( fresh or canned)
1 box small pasta shells (cooked and waiting)
Fresh basil
Salt/pepper to taste

Put first seven ingredients in the blender (except the veggies you chopped) and blend on high for six minutes. Pour that mixture into a pot and place on stove (the VitaMix will heat it up when it’s on high that long). Place the remaining ingredients in the pot and cook on low heat. Serve with a hearty whole-grain bread. Delicious!

Speak Your Mind