I love white beans so I knew this soup was going to be delicious as soon as I saw this recipe. December is a wonderful month for getting warm and cozy – this soup will help with both! (Compliments BBC’s GoodFood)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 leeks, finely chopped
- 5 strips streaky bacon cooked, finely chopped
- 1.4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock (Kallo is good)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp chopped fresh oregano or marjoram or ½ tsp dried
- 2x 45 oz. cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
On the day
- a handful of flatleaf parsley, chopped
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 tiny parsley sprigs
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and tip in the shallots, garlic, carrot, celery, leeks and bacon. Cook over a medium heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned.
- Pour in the stock, then add the bay leaves and oregano or marjoram. Season and bring to the boil, then cover the pan and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Tip in the beans, cover again and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Pour the soup into a freezer container and leave it to cool completely, then seal, label and freeze for up to a month.
- Defrost the soup at room temperature for 3 hours, (or overnight).
- Tip into a saucepan, reheat gently until bubbling, and simmer for 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning. Swirl in the chopped parsley, ladle into warm bowls and top each with a drizzle of olive oil and a parsley sprig.